Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Democracy is not an Election, or Day 9 in Doha


So today, besides those class things that I have to go to, had a lot to do with Texas A&M.

First off, I want to give a little
shout-out to my pal, Pat, who is a celebrity, with his stunning picture in the library. I am going to be so distracted every time I try to study with his shining face looking down on me.

But, bac
k to Texas, today was the first time I entered there building, and got an unofficial tour. The have "maroon" stone everywhere, since that is their school color, and also the same cut marble (imported from Turkey) that we have around CMU.

Another rip-off from us (though we were built later, so I guess it
is a rip-off of them), is their "blue rotunda." We have a "blue atrium"... but, unbiasedly, let me say ours is sleeker and better.

The second (and sadly final) event of the day was the Doha Debates. A broadcast on BBC moderated by Tim Sebastian, the debates have two people on either side of an issue. In this case, it wa
s if the government in Afghanistan is worth saving. The debate was interesting to listen to, and very informative (since I'm not up on my politics in that region). And I was behind one of the guys that asked a question, so look for me at the very last question when you see when you can watch it.

By the end, the audience poll had a very narrow margin. What that margin is... you'll have to see to find out. But one side was saying that the recent fraudulent and corrupt elections are a step to figuring out the democracy there, and that more that just the election matters to democracy. The other side felt that this was a slippery slope, and the president should be ousted and new policies, even a whole new form of more representational government, should be replaced.

What did this have to do with Texas A&M? I had to pose as one of their students to guarantee a seat... shh, don't tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment