Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursdays that are like Fridays that are like Saturdays, or Day 11 in Doha


So, a few things about life here in Doha. Weekends are Fridays (since that is the Muslim day of prayer) and Saturdays. I have to get used to classes being on Mondays and Wednesdays, instead of Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am starting to just number the days of the week (like, first day of classes, second day of classes, first day of the weekend, etc.), but that doesn't translate well to others.

The point of this rant is that Thursdays (today), I don't have any classes. So in addition to my work week being screwed up, I don't even have five days of it.
That just makes Thursday like a Friday around here, which is like a Saturday in the States. (I know, what an awful life I lead...)

So instead of classes, today was spent reading and e-mailing professors to get homework assignments.

And, a marathon shopping trip. I got a prescription for less than half the amount in the states (and was told I didn't even need a prescription for it). Whoever said that getting prescriptions overseas was cheaper was right. Easier, maybe not so much, but I'll be here long enough that now I know!

Also, when carrying 50 kilos of groceries (thanks, Daedri... as in, thanks for buying that much), taxis are much nice than buses.

The evening really started with Al Jazeera hosting a documentary called "Still Alive in Gaza." I was very impressed with it, because it didn't come across as "hate the Jews" propaganda; neither was it sympathetic to Israel (though that one should have been more obvious).

The screen was outdoors in the ceremonial court, and, though not packed, or even "well-attended", it was a fine crowd for the evening.

The most touching scene for me was the story of a 12-14 year old who watched her mother in the room across the hall get bombed. She was sitting on the couch with her father, showing him her drawings of different war scenes that affected her. The wise man comforted her, and gave her an idea of the importance of hope. "Without hope, there is no life."

Powerful stuff.

Besides the film just being a way to fill a few hours, it also provided some great cultural chatter. I felt informed and happy, since the discourse was (thankfully) not at all accusatory and very informative, on both sides I think. Being around Jews in Pittsburgh, Muslims here, and a Christian myself is a fascinating way to come at things.

This evening wasn't the seamlessly planned evening I had planned on, but when is it ever. I did get to spend some time with the vanishing architecture students (and listen jealously to their plans for tomorrow... "fort-hopping"), and drink some of that deliciously un-tea-like Moroccan tea. The hang-out spot is a popular one, the "bandar" (no idea if I am spelling that right). This out-cropping of rocks and parking lot is a hotbed of cars and people who are fishing, chatting, playing music, showing off cars, and, if you are two CMU students (*cough* Abby and Chris *cough*), posing for ridiculous pictures.

And, of course, a bit of sheesha thrown in, just to keep it cultural. Might I add that the brave Daedri and I tried the weirdest combination of dessert, entrees, and appetizer. Mishab correctly called it a "chicken donut." Egg and chicken inside, pastry and powdered sugar on the outside. Actually, fairly delicious.

My dream of seeing the sunrise over the sea was almost realized... but not quite yet. I will say that meeting a student from every college wasn't a challenge at all, when you know the "connectors" around here. But the bucket list is doing it's thing and giving me ideas, which is all it is supposed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment