Monday, January 4, 2010

Dreams Come True, or my last thoughts on Istanbul


The title comes from a sticker that a Turkish schoolgirl had on her bag on the light rail as I was heading to the train station the morning of the 3rd. I might have scared her when I pointed and smiled at it.

Well, let's get down to business and evaluate Istanbul!

The good:
  • Beautiful architecture, with a mosque on every corner
  • Call to prayer
  • Water and multiple continents
  • Cobblestone streets
  • Always someone out selling something
  • Friendly and helpful residents
  • Always felt safe (after getting used to it)
  • Colorful and decorative buildings
  • Healthy- and clean-looking, friendly stray cats and dogs
  • Wonderful fellow travelers
  • Transportation system
  • No rain until the last 12 hours I was there
  • Turkcell Buddies! (an advertising campaign that I'm in love with)
The bad:
  • Hawkers
  • Confusing roads
  • Dingy
  • Sketchy bathrooms (with toilets that don't flush well, or with random buttons, or with spouts the spray water instead of toilet paper. I wasn't brave enough to try the latter.)
The ugly fascinating
  • Taxis honk at everyone if they aren't in use to try to get passengers
  • I know about 3 Turkish words/phrases:
    • Merhaba which means "Hello" (which is also Arabic for "Hello")
    • Tesekkür ederim which means "Thank you" (pronounced like you are slurring "tea, sugar, and dream" which rolling the r's)
    • Balik which means "fish" (I looked it up and never forgot it)
  • It took me 4 more days to adjust to Istanbul time then to European time last time I went
So, in sum, I loved it, and I am glad I will probably return at the end of May for a day or two before I head back to Seattle from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment