Friday, May 21, 2010

Not in The Gulf Anymore, or Day 14 fo the Epic May Adventure


Well, I started writing this then the power flickered. So I lost a paragraph or two... here it goes again:

I started the day pretty darn early, about 5am when the first bus dropped us off to take the shuttle into Pamukkale. We jumped off the shuttle and a hotel manager immediately invited us to use his facilities, which included free internet. I paid a bit much for the breakfast, but I felt like I should pay them back for letting us put our luggage there.

I started climbing the travertines around 8am, and I was still a bit chilly when I reached the top. The travertines are calcium deposits that look a lot like frozen waterfalls. More volcanic leftovers.

Well, at the top, people were already out in full force in bikinis. And, like I was told, they were all modelling up a storm. When a Turkish woman came by in long skirts and headscarves, it completed the picture. What is completely inappropriate in every country I´ve been to in the last 4 months was on full display around here. Not in the gulf anymore.

I poked around the Roman ruins for a while, and a older guy approached me for some conversation. I ended up with a novel of his in my inbox: it is about a 21-year-old seducing and travelling with a 56-year-old. He was about 56. I´m 21. That hit a bit close to home (especially since he is also from Washington State... creepy).

It was an afternoon in the sun (my complexion is already ´´ruined´´) and then, after spending a bit too much on yogurt (I love that stuff), I headed back to the hostel to relax for an hour or two before my bus. That´s when it started raining. Then the power went out.

I picked up a book, ran into the novelist again, then boarded my bus. I apparently only had a reservation, not a true ticket, but I managed to get on the ´´full´´ bus anyway. (It wasn´t full at all.)

The hostel picked me up (so I didn´t have to walk in the rain!) and ran into some classmates of the guy that I went to Cappadocia with! A chat and some apple tea, and I´ll maybe I wıll make it to bed early for Ephesus tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment