Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Old Men, or Day 12 of the Epic May Adventure


I forgot how much I liked Turkey. Old men playing backgammon and rummikub on the streets. I like old men (and they don't mind chatting with a young thing like me either... but no, I will not go have wine with you, thanks anyway.)

So, I guess things work out. Someone is watching out for me, anyhow.

One of the wonders of this modern world is the connectivity that we have. When I was so down yesterday, I got on Facebook, where I asked my cousin to call my dad so he could come online and comfort me. He did a good job, and I remember why I love my family so much (and miss then so much too!)

I went out of the internet cafe, cried in the middle of the "otogar" (bus station parking lot area), then decided to just buckle down and head to Izmir. I checked at one bus company, then another, then saw someone with a Boston sweatshirt on.

Sadly, he was from Turkey, so not interested in tourism, but he gave me some good info about the region.

And when I went inside to buy the ticket to Izmir... lo and behold there was an American guy buying a ticket to Cappadocia!

So I was a creeper and asked if I could come along. So now I'm in Cappadocia.

Last night was an overnight bus, then we checked into a hostel this morning. It is as gorgeous as they say. I was supposed to take a hot-air balloon trip this evening, but they cancelled it. Hopefully tomorrow morning...

Also, did some hiking and looked at the Goreme Open-Air Museum. Both were refreshing.

I think I need to get off because others are waiting, but suffice it to say that my mood is improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment