Monday, December 7, 2009

Acronym, or how I talk about where I'm going

So, for those of you following who know nothing about Qatar, Doha, or possibly even Carnegie Mellon, this one's for you. Notice the pervasive use of acronyms (like always).

Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) : Where I have gone to school for 2.5 years now, studying Computer Science (CS) and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). It has a few campuses; I've been studying in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, the main campus.

Carnegie Mellon University-Qatar (CMU-Q) : Where I am spending spring semester, continuing my studies in CS and HCI. It specializes in degrees in CS and Information Systems. It is located in Education City, part of Doha, a city in Qatar, a peninsula off the north coast of the Arabian Peninsula.

Education City : The area of Doha that I am spending spring semester. It
also hosts Virginia Commonwealth University (focus in fine arts), Cornell (medicine), Texas A&M (engineering and science), Georgetown (foreign service), and Northwestern (journalism and communication).

Doha : The city where I am spending spring semester. The capital of Qatar. Fun fact, also the headquarters to the Arabic news channel Al Jazeera.


Qatar : The country where I am spending spring semester. It is located on the northern side of the Arabian Peninsula, bordering Saudi Arabia. Yes, I know there are at least three different ways to pronounce it. Yes, I know I often use more than one in a conversation. Yes, I know which one is the Arabic pronunciation (sounds almost like "guitar"), which one is the BBC pronunciation (sounds like "cutter"), and which one is the Mark Stehlik pronunciation (sounds like "cu-TAR"). No, I don't know which one is "right."

The Arabian Peninsula : The shoehorn-looking thing between Europe, Asia, and Africa where I am spending spring semester. Bordered by the Persian Gulf to the north, the Red Sea to the west, the Mediterranean to the northwest (if you want to extend it that far), and the Arabia Sea (part of the Indian Ocean). The other countries considered to a be a part are Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Yemen.


The Middle East : That ambiguous area between Europe, Asia, and Africa where I am spending spring semester. Thought of as a place of great turmoil and wealth (and oil).

The Earth : The planet I'm spending spring and all other semesters on.

Sources : http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Arabian-Peninsula

No comments:

Post a Comment