Sunday, December 13, 2009

Slowly but Surely, or how I my trip planning is coming along

"A snail's pace" would accurately describe how my Turkey planning is coming. And my Qatar planning? Ha, give me a break.

Actually, a break is exactly what I need (and exactly what I'll get in just a few days!) I now OFFICIALLY have a flight from Istanbul to Qatar (finally! Just made my last call tonight confirming that) and have a hostel to stay for the few days I am there. It is close to all the tourist attractions in old town, but the trek I'll have to make at 23:00 to get there might not be so fun.

Another "preparation" that I made for my trip is going to smoke hookah with some friends around here. "But Corinne, how is filling your lungs with cancerous smoke preparing for your study abroad?"

A friend on Facebook said it best when he said "It's like 'cocktails with the boss' over here." Since Qatar is a Muslim state, there is no alcohol legally allowed. (Though apparently, if I try hard, I can get a liquor license since I am a foreigner, but THAT isn't exploring the culture, now is it.) Well, since I can't kill my liver with alcohol, I can kill my lungs with tobacco and flavorings. But seriously, it was fun and very low-key, which is not what I expected. Now, I am prepared for the "Doha Happy Hour" scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment