Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I Hope We Will Be Good Friends, or how I made it to Istanbul


I've landed, ridden the trams, followed some directions, and I'm here at the hostel.

In order to keep the jetlag to a minimum, I also must keep this post to a minimum, since it is past midnight!

Here is what I wrote while between flights:

I was anxious all day, waiting for my 6:30 (sorry, 18:30) flight. We ran some last minute errands, including getting a travel towel (I'll let you know how that works out later). This gave us just enough time to pick Dad up from work so he could accompany Mom and me to the airport.

We got there; I had checked-in online, so just needed to drop off the large backpack (and carrying on a smaller backpack and rolling bag). We approached the front desk and was alerted that...


My flight was two hours delayed. I jumped to the worst conclusion, thinking I'd be bumped off my next one, but, in my first stroke of luck, my four hour layover, just turned into a two hour one.


It was two hours before I even needed to be at security, so Mom, Dad, and I drove to Southcenter and bought me a watch and dinner.

Getting through security was a breeze, and so I sat and waited at the terminal for a bit. The new security measures for coming into the US had caused the delay, but the flight attendant assured us that we would be “home soon.” Even the security guy assumed I was traveling to London to go home after the holidays.


A movie, five hours of sleep, and a bit of light reading later, I am sitting in the terminal in Heathrow. No, not “home.” Just the next step on this adventure that has gone smoothly thus far.


But, there are still more stories! Like the guy I "made friends with" on the tram, or the fact that I had to go through security in a really weird way, or how my hostel is in this cute little random area that is difficult to navigate behind the Blue Mosque. If I could even tell which the Blue Mosque is!

But here is a plane flight picture for you, and off to bed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment