Sunday, March 7, 2010

India Rubbed Off on You, or Day 64 in Doha


"India rubbed off on you." I think that was the most clever comment I heard today, after being very much tan from the bike rides and the fort climbs in the sun in India.

Fair skin is treasured in most of the world, since it shows that the person doesn't have to labor in the sun. The USA is different; we prefer skin cancer.

Though someone around here did tell me I was too white a month or two ago.

Anyways, today's post is dedicated to Valerie, my littler (but not littlest) sister, whose birthday was yesterday.

I got her a bag... just not sure which one she wants yet:


What do you guys think? Left, middle, or right?

It was my half-birthday two days ago... It's halfway through junior year, and I'm halfway to 22. This is a turning point... it's all downhill from here.

As for today's events, I went out to lunch with Allan, Mathew, and Shazia for a good old beef hamburger at Hardee's. Cows aren't so sacred around here.

And I saw the students from Pittsburgh who are here for (their) spring break! Go main campus! I'll get to hang out with them more on Tuesday when we go to Al Jazeera headquarters. (Yay bucket list item!) There was dinner in the majlis with them (or for them... not really sure which). It got me remembering that I'm going to be a CA (a head RA) next year and have to start keeping that in the back of my mind.

We also had our first meeting for Soliya, which is this web-chatting forum with people from around the world on Middle Eastern issues that I signed up for. I probably shouldn't have, given my lack of time as it is, but I'm interested. They fed me too.

So with two free dinners and not enough time in the day, I had to turn down dinner with Abdalla. And it was going to be one of his restaurant rating nights too...

So the last thing I did was start catching up on homework... what joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment