Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Stomach is Tight, or Day 78 in Doha

Tonight was the final "Distinguished Lecturer" of the semester-long series, and I finally got a chance to go.

Carnegie Mellon invites a speaker, than invites the whole of Doha to hear the and partake in a buffet at the luxurious Four Seasons Hotel.

We walked in, and Rachelle had warned me about the flower arrangements... they were beautiful. As I was poking around, I realized that I haven't been to any of the beautiful hotels around Doha. I want to change that... even though they are imported gold, they are still a major of what visitors see.

The speaker was Leila Ahmed, and I will tell you all about it tomorrow.

Instead, today, while hanging out with Khaled (instead of working as we should have been), I learned more about Farsi and Arabic. For example, there is no "I miss you" in Farsi; instead, they say, "My stomach is tight for you."

It took me a second to digest this (get it, digest?), and so first I equated it with hunger, like "I'm hungry for you." But Farsi has a different word for hunger.

I mean, it could be a show of expectation, or excitement. I mean, my stomach is tight after eating a delicious meal, but not so sure about how that relates.

Speaking of people I miss, I got to Skype with my parents and all my sisters tonight. After the hour-and-a-half-long conversation, I was speaking loudly and competing for attention. Right after (when I met up with Khaled), I was very loud and kept interrupting him to speak. I guess it is what you get in a family full of chatters.

Now, no more tight stomach... just droopy eyelashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment