Monday, February 22, 2010

Female Privilege, or Day 51 in Doha


I have complained before about being a girl. But ladies often have their privileges, especially when it comes to lines in government offices.

I went to the Indian Embassy this morning, to try to get a visa for Spring Break. Once there, I could get in the 1-woman line, instead of the 7-men line. There was even a cute little "Ladies Waiting Room" with three different shelves of books in script (with a few in English).

However, being a lady didn't help me get a visa, since I was missing proof of place I'm staying. So tomorrow, bright and early, we try again.

Tonight was also a bit of a break from the grindstone, as I went out for pizza and ice cream (though not 1-riyal ice cream!) with Abdalla. I thought that pizza was the most universal food ever, but then he starts dumping (Omani) ketchup on it! The tomato-on-tomato action was very weird, with the saltiness adding some "complexity" to the typical taste of pizza, but it was also something that I only put on one piece.

The pepperoni here is not made of pork (since pork is illegal in this country due to Islam) but tastes deliciously the same... just like Coldstone.

Final note: I updated my YouTube channel with a few brief videos of Dubai. Jessica updated hers as well, especially with a video of me coming down the bobsled track at SkiDubai. I'm in one other of her videos, for just a second, but I'm not going to link that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment