Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Can I Have An Extension, or Day 46 in Doha


Today dawned a funny yellow-ish cloud cover, probably left over from the fog last night. My day was very productive, bouncing from class to class, grading papers and coding. I guess that's why it hasn't sunk in that I'm leaving for Dubai in just a few hours.

I think it is also the fact that Dubai doesn't really seem like another country. The UAE is, but I'm thinking that I'll enjoy being a tourist again for a bit. I've lost that sense of wonder (and freedom and time-less-ness) around here. However, the days are still spinning by so fast!

People keep teasing me that I'm starting Spring Break a week early (since it begins on the 26th for me). But speaking of Spring Break, I'll have lots of adventures to tell you from the distant, wild country of India!

While I was working (and wandering around) at uni today (yes, I'm using that word "uni"), I saw a whole production set up on the majlis. While I didn't get to stick around for more than a few minutes of the talk (and a few bites of the food), the speaker, Patrick Awuah. I'm not going to be able to do him justice, but the little that I caught was him talking about how the roots of problems come from apathetic leadership. His goal, then, was to groom young people into leaders that would make a difference. I'm sure Shaza and Maria and Fatima could tell you (since they are all lined up and attentive in the picture).

I tried to get ahead on my work for next week, since I'm leaving at 05:30 tomorrow and getting back at 07:30 on Sunday (just in time for classes). That leaves not very much time that I want to be doing work during the weekend. And I have I mentioned it still hasn't sunk in yet?

After a productive evening (so good to be saying that!) Abdalla and I splurged on TWO riyal DIPPED ice cream cones. Big spenders, I know, but I'm not going to be around in this currency for a full weekend... Instead I'll be using UAE dirhams. And, according to Google, 1 Qatar riyal is 1.00942492 UAE dirhams. So a one-dirham ice cream cone? Forget about it.

While I was around in my building, Daed
ri came up to say hi (and have a snack). I walked in on her this evening getting her hair extensions, so seeing the final product was pretty cool. And, a little bit more culture in my life, since I've never seen anyone get extensions put it. Six hours to get them braided in? That's a lot of patience! Daedri looks much different... but we're already enjoying playing with them.

I'm off to Dubai shortly! I'll have some internet, so still be posting (Insha'Allah) but it is traveling, so I can never guarantee anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment