Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What the Fog, or Day 45 in Doha

I thought today was going to be boring, and that I might have to talk to you about this elusive school that is somehow still taking up my life.

Instead, I went out for dinner with my typical CMU CS group (we had a freshman, a sophmore, a junior, and two seniors... how diverse!) and had some classy Indian dhosas.

We manage
d to tear Kaleem away from his Networks homework (which he is probably cursing us for now) and drove to Bharath. It was a pretty classy restaurant: very clean, wooden tables, waiters wearing uniforms, and all the chairs matched. I ordered a onion rava masala dhosa, while the others got masala or masala rava dhosas. Mine (on the right) looked a little less classy than theirs (on the left), but I liked it more.

I'm still enjoying the prices of food around here. A dhosa, which was pretty filling, some of those old gulab jamun dessert balls, and some water (yes, you have to pay for water) came out to 13 riyals. That's less
than $4. Eating out every night and not breaking the bank? No wonder people don't cook around here.

So, while we were at the table, one of the guys saw his neighbors at another table, and he began stooping down in his chair, covering his face. That started the conversations about how small the world is... and how word gets around. Swapnil was talking about how a family friend had seen him at a mall, and his mother knew less than 24 hours later; Tessa went on to talk about how her grandmother had managed to get her Facebook profile picture, which had a guy friend in it, and demanded to know his name when she went back home to Brunei.

On our way home, we ran into some fog... Swapnil was driving, with Tessa in the front seat, but I got a bit of video. People around here put their flashers on in the fog, for some reason.



After I got back to EC, I took some of those artistic-type photos... the lights and the palm trees just looked so cool! And this was the only picture Kaleem would let me take of him. He looks like a ghost.




It's like Swapnil and Tessa are walking away into the sunset... if by sunset, you mean fog nearly hiding the CMU-Q building.

No comments:

Post a Comment