Sunday, February 14, 2010

Habibati, or Day 43 in Doha


Happy Valentine's Day!

Besides the few half hour breaks here and there, my day was full of classes, errands, meetings, meals, and finally, as a little Valentine's Day treat to myself, Nutella crepes. I probably should have shared them with someone... but they were so delicious.

One of the meeting was with Khaled, my Computer Networks partner. I've decided that we will start early, since I don't want to repeat last week's incident of too little time, too much too do, and lots and lots of stress.

In honor of Valentine's Day, I've decided to look up Arabic terms of endearment, since I've been trying to learn it from a friend.

The one I hear the most is "habibi" (also spelled "habebe"...apparently the English spelling of words doesn't matter as long as it sounds the same). I've been told it means "darling."

"Hubbi" is another one that I heard, because it sounded so much like "hubby." In English, "hubby" is short for "husband." In Arabic, "hubbi" means "my love."

Here are some others I Googled. I'm hoping people will tell me what they actually mean, if the translation is incorrect, what gender they are for, and even which Arabic they are used in! Happy Valentine's Day, my habibati!


Noori - my light
Hayaati - my life
Rohi - my soul
Amir/a - prince/ss
Albi - my heart
Omri - dear, my life
Amoura - my love
Aziz - my beloved




(It was another beautiful sunny day, so I went outside during break and took a little picture for you guys. Aren't you jealous of my sun?... The picture is of a heart, by the way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment