Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Before They Were Famous, or Day 95 in Doha


Today ended happily. Finally, a day that ends well.

After a rough start (staying up until 4 or 5am doesn't bode well to making it to morning classes), I got to work.

This evening, I took a break and listened to the very well-attended speech by Dean Chuck Thorpe. After coming in as the first dean in 2004 (with a background in robotics, I must add), he has become a much beloved figure on this campus. His title, "Six Quotes for Six Years", intrigued me. While I don't know the Dean personally, I see him at a few of the Computer Science talks on Mondays. I also now understand more why we have two robotics labs at CMU-Q. He has done some pretty remarkable things around here, but remains a very humble and adventure-loving guy. I'll have to get back in shape so that I can run across Qatar with him.

I finally got a chance to catch up with Daedri. It is ridiculous that we live just a floor away from each other, but I see her once in a blue moon. T
hat is probably because all we do back in our dorms is sleep (possibly eat, possibly blog, but sleep is the main at-home activity).

Not only did I get to see her, but I also got to see how her collection was coming. I got a sneak preview of
what is eventually going to get shown at a fashion show in Hong Kong! That intricate jacket I'm wearing? A Daedri original. In years, I'll be saying, "I knew her before she became famous."

1 comment:

  1. You need to tell Daedri that that jacket is really cute! :D (and convince her that you should take it home with you)

    Maria

    ReplyDelete