Monday, April 12, 2010

Carnivore, or DAY 100 IN DOHA

So, before this thing called networks entered my life, I was super excited to have a crazy fun night on my 100th day after arriving in Doha. (For technicalities sake, it isn't truly my 100th day in Doha, since I kept the count going during Spring Break and my weekend trips, when I was in other places. And it isn't quite 100 days in the Middle East, either, since I escaped to India for a little over a week. But, it is a pretty cool day nonetheless.)

So to celebrate, I slept until noon. (That was a bit of an accident, but it happened anyway.) Then, I got to eat at the best BBQ place for dinner.

Lamazani BB-Q was another one of those almost hole-in-the-wall places, except with actually quite a lot of seating and an upstairs. It just felt like it was a locals-only place. I was the only girl in there for a bit, and Abdalla and I accidently didn't sit in the family section! Gasp! That's right, there were tables full of men around me!

The food didn't start out so great. We got this wonderful-looking green salad, but I ate the first lettuce-looking leaf (with my fingers, of course) and it was pretty bitter. "Must've just gotten a bad one," I thought. But then every single piece I tried was the same. It is apparently supposed to be bitter! I didn't realize that was a taste people actually enjoyed. (On a side note, eating leafs with my fingers reminded me of what my dad calls salads: "rabbit food.")

Well, didn't eat much of the "salad" (though this eating
-salad-with-your-hands thing is actually pretty nice, never had to struggle with it falling off my fork). But, when the meat and bread came, I got super excited.

I've never been a huge fan of this "kof
ta" thing (it is a ground meat sausage of some type... sometimes camel) but I've never had it cooked over a grill before. Each kabob, either kofta, chicken, or "meat" (probably mutton), was delicious, possibly marinated and grilled until crisp and juicy. The kabobs were served with large piece of flat bread (fairly naan-like), and you would rip off some of the bread and take some of the meat off the skewer with it. I had six delicious skewers before we rolled out of there.

That is pretty much all that happened today, which is why I'm spending half a page just talking about this restaurant. If you are jealous (or hungry), I apologize. It is a block north of the Sword Interchange, if you are interested. See you there next time I'm feeling like a carnivore!

No comments:

Post a Comment