Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Midnight Breakfast, or Day 102 in Doha


This morning I was up bright and early. Sheikha Mozah (the "queen" of Qatar) was supposed to come and we were supposed to have an EC-wide picture and I was supposed to be in it.

But, mystery of all mysteries: it rained (and thundered and lightninged!) overnight, so it was canceled! We still showed up, and Abdalla and I snacked on the remains of a buffet breakfast, but no picture.

What really crushed me was this e-mail I got later:

Sadly, due to inclement weather the Annual Photoshoot with Her Highness has been canceled. The Qatar Foundation hopes to reschedule sometime in the fall.
The fall?! I won't be here in the fall... Though I hear she is coming to the ABP commencement (according to my roommate who attends), but that is later in May. Not thinking I'm going to delay my trip just to see the Sheikha, as cool as that would be.

A nap improved my mood (though I am still being a "bad" TA and not going to the class). Instead, when I got up, I headed straight for office hours then my own class.

A lot of today was spent doing my ROTA teaching (which I have pictures of now! I'll just post them next week). Two boys from Cornell, a girl from Cornell, another girl from Carnegie Mellon, and I are presenting a poster at CMU's Meeting of the Minds about what the RAEL (ROTA (Reach Out To Asia) Adult English Literacy) program is and our curriculum development within it.

That took up the rest of my day, including my dinner time. Since I've been on such a health food kick (not... cookie dough sadly is not health food), I decided around midnight to make some chocolate chip pancakes.

And, of course, cooking alone is no fun, so Fatima-and-Maria (those two are attached at the hip) came over to help my eat my blobby creations. They turned out better than my cookies. Breakfast at midnight is the best! (Too bad it isn't waffles though...)



No comments:

Post a Comment