Saturday, April 17, 2010

Food for Thought, or Day 105 in Doha

After the desert safari yesterday, today's half of the conference was a bit more chill. The "Undergraduate Conference in Information Systems" concluded today with student presentations, poster presentations, and three speakers.

The two speakers that I made it to were a least fascinating and at most applicable.

I learned what SCADA systems are and how vulnerable they are to attack! The presenter went on to mention a few incidents of vengeful employees using their knowledge to compromise the sewage system. There goes the water supply...

The other talk was about consulting. Not best practices, but instead the "Three R's" that the present had picked up as the most important pieces: requirements, revenue, and relationships.

Varun and I got to chat over lunch and dinner about the conference, and about their hopes for its future. There were students from Bahrain and from Qatar University... but not that many from CMU. They'll have to work on that piece for next year...
Speaking of lunch, there was this delicious buffet with some great chocolate mousse that got mixed with cookies ("biscuits") and resurrected for dinner. Delicious free food...
And yesterday was the realization I had that I've gained weight since I've been here. I was trying on shorts that I brought from home, and haven't worn since I've gotten here (not quite appropriate). Well, they were always a bit tight... but I think two desserts a day and no walking has done them in.

So of course, at 10pm when it was snacktime, we go to Baskin-Robbins for some cotton candy ice cream for Sidra. I had the resistance to say no to that...

But had a "baby" shwarma instead. Fewer calories?... Maybe I should just start working out a bit more.




No comments:

Post a Comment