Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Let's Get Physical, or Day 108 in Doha


My final networks project is over. So you will only be hearing me complain about the final test until Sunday, then, khallas (done, in Arabic), I will be free of that class!

I'm kind of disappointed that I choose this semester to blog, because now when I look back, I will realize how awful it really was. It is one of those things that I will be happy to have just fade back into the past...

Anyway, due to my new-found freedom, I was able to work-out today! It reminded me a lot of freshman year at CMU; the boys and I would finish our 251 (Great Theoretical Ideas in Computer Science, or GTI around here) homework, turn it in at midnight, then go down to the work-out room in the dorm and watch an hour of Power Rangers while on the treadmill.

Just subtract the dorm, the boys, the treadmill, and the Power Rangers, and that's what I did tonight.

But I didn't just want to talk about exercising...

Khaled and I had a conversation while coding today (one of our last ones... while coding that is) about toilet manners here versus in the West. It's funny because I recently read a blogpost by a Qatari woman about that very same topic. And you know I've mentioned bathrooms before.


Now, let me lay it out for those Western types. Every bathroom around here (that I've been in... sorry, guys, don't have data for you, though Khaled did bring it up, so I'm assuming) has, attached to the toilet, a hose to be used to wash yourself after doing your business. There is also a bidet next to the toilet; if you are still curious, wikiHow can walk you through the steps.

If you are really, really interested, I found an interesting article about the eco-benefits of bidets versus toilet paper (not as simple as you'd think). And there are some small health benefits as well.

So with all of this, you'd think I'd be a convert, right? I mean, as you can see, I have both the hose and the bidet in all of the bathrooms in my apartment.

There is one "con" to bidets; I have not been to a public bathroom that has managed to keep its floors dry. Pretty gross to wade in to el baƱo (that's bathroom in Spanish) with your pants turned up to keep them from getting soggy.

And... Let's just say it is amazing how culture ingrains things in us. But maybe I should be more adventurous!

No comments:

Post a Comment