Tuesday, April 27, 2010

MoM, or Day 115 in Doha


Sorry, Madre, this one isn't about you. (Though I
did appreciate the e-mail you sent, and I'm glad you and Zoe did well in the talent show.)

Carnegie Mellon, here and in Pittsburgh (I think...), lets their students strut their stuff at a poster competition and presentation session called "Meeting of the Minds." Somehow I got roped into doing a poster based on my final project for my Community Service Learning course. Two guys from Cornell, two ladies from Cornell and CMU, and me, we all joined forces on a poster to show our skills. We changed the curriculum of the program to better suit the students' needs, and the girls made a handbook to give to potential teachers telling them about the program. And to be honest, it was a great class and everything, and I'm glad we could share it with people, but it was not a research poster presentation like everyone else's, so when they asked us about our empirical methods... yeah, we only go for the touchy-feely stuff.

Anyway, I got to see a bunch of my friends presenting. Over the lunch hour, I saw one of the three senior thesis presentations by Aysha, Rishav, and Kaleem. And, wonder of wonders, I saw them all again at MoM later that day!

Speaking of seniors, I met with Tessa and the two professors for Networks this morning to go through my code and talk about the class, and I was very happy when I got praises... but mostly I'm happy to have passed that class!


And I was super proud of her this afternoon when she and her partner swept the Meeting of the Minds awards, winning best CS, best poster, and best overall. She had more goody bags than she could carry by the end of it.

And, for those of you who are starting to get sensitive about me leaving (I know I am!), I'm going to talk about goodbyes now, so you should probably stop reading...

I have my last exam and last project tomorrow, then I'll only be in Qatar for four days out of the next nine, so I've been trying to network and find the people I need to say goodbye and thank you to before its too late.

And just in general, thank you! I'm tearing up a bit already, and I still have over a week to go! But soon, my blogposts are going to get re-numbered to "Day 1 of my May Adventure" and then, after that... this blog will be done. It'll be in stasis, for me to come back and read and reminisce, like my Eurotrip blog from two years ago, except a lot more bittersweet. Can you remember the first day I was in Doha? Everything was so new!

No comments:

Post a Comment