Thursday, April 8, 2010

Skipping around EC, or Day 96 in Doha


Today. Was. Fantastic.

I am so happy and content right now... aren't those joyful words to hear? (They are definitely good to say.)

It started with me getting up and talking to my parents, and then one of my good friends back in Pittsburgh later in the day. I gain so much strength from talking to people I trust, it's amazing...

So tonight, at 6:00pm, there were three events happening simultaneously. However, with the aid of my magic time travel companion, Abdalla, I was able to attend every single one.


The first was the Resident Hall Council's Sports on the Spine. Frisbees, balls, and a giant, blow-up screen with some sports video game in it littered the Spine. I tossed a single frisbee to Shaza before heading to the match.


Next we had the Carnegie Mellon Students versus Faculty football match. Remember, we are in Qatar, so "football" means "soccer." Varun and Zaid were asked by a professor to be the announcers; Zaid said about one thing while I was in hearing range. Maybe they were scraping the bottom of the barrel? I mean, if they were going alphabetically, that's quite a lot of "no"s before the could strong-arm those two into doing it...


They were in a death-grip 0-0 when we left the event to go the VCU-Q's Palestinian Night.


Besides the dabkeh (dance) performance and buffet of Arabic food, there was a speaker from an Arabic nature organization. With Abdalla sitting next to me, he translated a few bits from her speech in Arabic to English, bits that were very anti-Israel and pro-Palestine. When she then gave the speech in English, the speech was only about the olive tree planting they are doing to help displaced farmers, leaving out all the juicy stuff. Talk about a selective audience.



My final joy/activity for the night: going to the David Guetta concert.

I can't do a good job now of explaining what happened or how fun it was, so that'll just have to wait for tomorrow. (I'm also just a bit tired...)

No comments:

Post a Comment