Saturday, April 3, 2010

Food as Procrastination, or Day 91 in Doha

So one thing that I have been missing from my Doha experience is visiting the hotels! There is the W, the InterCon(tinental), the Sheraton, the Four Seasons... and more. And they are all luxurious and modern and expensive, I'm sure.

The other week when I went to the Four Seasons for a talk, and I got my first taste of the sumptuousness that I avoid when I go to bandar and Aspire Park.

There I heard about an "Express Lunch" served at the W's Spice Market, so I dragged Abdalla along (after he cleaned up a bit) so I could see inside another of the big hotels.

The three-course lunch was delicious, well-presented, and worth the money... well, except for the 35 riyal ($10) bottle of water. But the chili-onion short ribs, spring rolls, a bit of mango-topped salad, a bite of hammour (fish), and a scrumptious Vietnamese coffee and chocolate tart made for a great South Asian-inspired meal.

And I thought that was all the excitement I had in store, but then Abdalla decided to reciprocate, inviting me along to an event that he himself was tagging along to. The A/V Club at CMU-
Q was going out for a pep dinner at Nando's, a famous chicken place around here.

I had had Nando's once before, but it was catered and not nearly as delicious as the pile of chicken wings our table got. Poor Zaid was neglected by the staff the whole night. His theory was waiters can only carry three bowls of soup, and somehow he is always the fourth at the table who gets forgotten. His food came last, and his drink took a while to get refilled.

However, thanks to Varun and the A/V Club, the rest of us had a delicious meal.
The pile of wings was smeared with their signature peri-peri sauce, of a "medium" spiciness. My nose was running a bit by the end of it, and I drink half of the bottle of water, but I see now why people recommend it.

And with all this eating, my projects have been slow going... But one has to eat to live, am I right?

And by the way, I got shown this piece of "culture"... a great old Lebanese song. And the outfits? Priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment