Monday, April 26, 2010

Not Even Close to Midnight, or Day 114 in Doha


So we can ignore that weird middle part of my day... that part where I took a 4-hour nap, ran errands and had a group meeting.

That just leaves the beginning and the end.

The day dawned early. Too early. I was the opposite of bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when I got up at 7:30am. (Blurry-eyed and un-bushy-tailed?) Abdalla and I were going to check out the post office, which I've been curious about since I got here, before heading to the Turkish Embassy for a visa.

There is only one post
office in Qatar, from what I've been told (though I have seen other ones in strip malls...). Everyone has their own PO box number, so you never actually put a street address on letters and packages going through the post to Qatar. Personally, it doesn't quite seem like there were enough post office boxes for every person in Qatar.

Architecturally, it resembles a pigeon roost, which is what the website says it is supposed to look like. Something about letters being like roosting pigeons or something. It just reminded me of the Pigeonhole Principle. I'm such a nerd.

In addition to a bunch of post office boxes, there was also a QNB branch (a bank), a few random windows to purchase stamps or
exchange money, and a little food shop where we got breakfast. Carack and a spiced cheese roll...

The Embassy took no time at all (since we were told there was visa-on-arrival for both of us) and I was back home... for my nap.


Tonight was a wonderful CMU tradition.

The day before Reading Day (
the day with no tests in the middle of finals week), the faculty and staff of the Pittsburgh CMU campus stay up until the ungodly hour of 9:00pm to cook omelets for the students during the annual "Almost Midnight Breakfast."

Rachelle, one of the CMU alums who currently works here in Qatar, has advocated for this event, and I loved it. At CMU-P, it is held in one of the largest spaces on campus, and I don't really know who is making my omelet (if I even decide to get an omelet with the huge lines). Here, I knew every faculty and staff member, at least by face if not by name. In addition, I could wander among all the different groups of people, since I knew most of them too.

It's the little things, such as attending an event for two hours and feeling like it breezed by.


Also, just to clarify, 9:00pm is not "almost midnight." Not if you've ever had a project due at midnight...

No comments:

Post a Comment